The Art Start program provides a foundation in academics incorporating music, movement, and art to develop and nurture a child’s innate artistic and creative exploration. This new program offered at SCAA is designed for ages 3.5 to 6 years (Pre-K). Classes meet on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
Art Start is a STEAM program created by Abby Johnson. Drawing on her extensive background in youth education, pedagogy, Montessori, and the arts, this program aims to engage all aspects of learning. Building upon a child’s inherent creativity, Art Start engages students at every sensory level. Through the use of hands-on lessons and interactive manipulatives, children will move, explore, build, and invent. Abby has carefully curated each lesson and created every material to engage with the living world and to teach students to engage with both the concrete and the abstract. We are thrilled that Abby Johnson is able to extend her love for teaching into this new offering. Her warm and friendly personality is sure to motivate students to actively learn through exploration.
Your Child Will Learn
- Math – Learn basic mathematical concepts and functions, including quantity, place value, and numeration.
- Language – Introduce the alphabet, phonics, and progress towards learning to read which will lead to writing.Cultural – Explore the universe; including
- astronomy, geography, history, and biology lessons. Science – Investigate the natural world of animals, life cycles, and
- environments.Art – Nurture creative processes, basic design principles, and techniques.
- Creative Movement – Refine spatial awareness while working on fine and gross motor skills.
- Music – Practice rhythm, pattern, and sound with musical instruments such as rhythm sticks, bells, xylophones, and drums.
The Art Start Day
Daily lessons are geared to the needs of the specific child/children within the classroom. Lessons are multi-sensorial and presented using vivid imaginary, as well as hands-on and creative in nature to further their understanding of the concepts being taught. Children will participate in daily large group lessons, as well as smaller individualized lessons.
Sample Daily Schedule
Wednesday, September 6, 2023
John Kerr Building, Room 308
$165 per week (30 weeks)
(three days per week)
*optional two days per week is available.
(three-day per week registration)
Students pay a one-time annual Registration Fee which covers all classes and lessons taken between September and August.
Payment Plans are available as an option for class and lesson tuition.